Saturday, June 7, 2008

Crazy Day


Today was such a crazy day. It was the much anticipated Salem Springs OPEN WATER Tri. My first open water triathlon. I was so nervous of the unknown. How would I do in the lake? Would it be freezing? Would people swim over me and make me drowned? Would I make my time goals even with my lack luster training these last few weeks? These were questions circling in my head making me very nervous as the days approached.

I woke up this morning to find that it was raining outside. I met Bree at her house and Paul drove us over to Salem where it was still raining and very cold. I was glad to have Bree doing the race with me today especially because the weather was so unexpected and there were some changes in the race. They canceled the bike which was a huge disappointment (I can say that now, but in the shivering cold I was a little relieved). They also shortened the swim from 800 to 500 meter. I am thrilled to say that I LOVE open water swimming, it was So much fun!!! I am also glad that they did not cancel the swim, as they where contemplating, and that we stayed to do it, as a lot of athletes went home. Now I want to do more!
This is how wet the ground was in the transition area! Am I back in Oregon?

So, we ended up doing the 500m swim.

I think this is our heat getting into the water.

and then a 5K run.
It was a pretty good day over all. I loved the swim, wasn't thrilled with my run time, but over all good day, considering it was kind of a weird race.
Well, that's all I've got to say about that.

Oh, and thanks to Paul for taking pictures of me as well as Bree. Thanks for doing the race Bree. It was fun and you did a GREAT job!

10 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats on the race! I would have taken one look at the rain... and gone back to bed. ;) Hooray for the open water swim! If you can do that, you can do anything! Have I mentioned that you're my idol?

Emily Call said...

You are so awesome! Way to go!

Bree D. said...

I too am SO glad that we stuck it out- what a good time it was! Thanks again to you for letting me join you and I agree that open water is WAY better! I am still a little bummed about not getting to cycle, but I just need to let that go don't I!! You did so well and I am so proud of you for conquering your fear of the open water, you were great!

Carolyn said...

Good job! You were nervous about that open water for no reason! I may have been able to doggie paddle about 5 meters. Now quit being so superhuman, you're making us regular people look bad. :-)

Thelissa said...

Seriously, I am going to have to stop reading your blog...it makes me think about how unfit I am. I could never do what you are describing. I mean, I realize I am pregnant, but even if I wasn't, I'd be out on this stuff! Really impressive Kelly!

Amber said...

I wish the weather could have been better for you. My in-laws live in Salem so it was fun to see your pictures of all the familier places.

Audrey said...

Sorry about the weather! but you guys really stuck it out! Congrats! you are amazing.

Sara said...

Yay, KELLY! SO proud of you, as always! Wish we were neighbors so I could train with you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kelly! That's so awesome that you found out you love open water swimming. It must have taken a ton of guts to jump in when it was so cold. Burr! Way to go for sticking it out and doing a terrific job!

Paulene Davis said...

I am so proud of you. You are an amazing athlete. Open water would really scare me. I am glad that you liked it. Thanks for posting these photos. I can feel a part of your accomplishments.