Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Calling all readers

I need a new book. I need something really meaningful, life altering, moving, worth while, motivational, etc. Something that will make me think and feel. Something really, really good!!! Any recommendations?

8 comments:

Thelissa said...

I recommend "Mutant Message Down Under." I think you would love it! I know it sounds weird, but it is fascinating! Quick read too.

Audrey said...

I used to be a "reader." But now I don't take the time. Wish I could help, but unfortunately the only thing I could recommend are good digi magazines or computer tips & tricks books.

Amber said...

I loved the book "Tending Roses" by Lisa Wingate. It is a book that will make you appreciate being a mother! I think you would enjoy it.

Collette said...

Just finished the Poisonwood Bible....long and captivating. loved it though

Jenalee said...

I have to comment here. I love reading. I love it more than making dinner, more than vacuuming, more than loading the dishwasher, you get the idea.

My favorite author is Torey Hayden. She is an amazing writer. She also happens to be a teacher who taught in special needs (emotional problems ie autism, schitzophrenia, etc. ) classrooms. Her books are the stories of these classrooms. They are non-fiction and really great. I have to warn you that there may be some language here and there and there are things that happen that are very "real." I suggest starting with "One Child."

I also just read "The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns." Both of them were really good.

I could go on and on. Let me know when you want me to. :)

Anonymous said...

I recommend a book called "Alicia: My Story" by Alicia Appleman Jurman. Cynthia recommended it on goodreads and it is one of very favorite books. ever. So amazing, life changing, inspiring. It is at the library, I believe...well, after I return it this week! :)

Sara said...

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch is a pretty good one. It's a quick read all about achieving your childhood dreams and I really enjoyed it. I have heard good things about Kite Runner, too.

Dixiechick said...

I echo Jenalee with Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (although if you don't want to be crying in your already precariously emotional pregnant state, maybe not). I am currently reading a book called "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffennegger. According to the chicago tribune it is "A soaring celebration of the victory of love over time." I'm not even 1/2 through, but it's good. Intriguing for sure. But I can't totally recommend something I haven't finished.