Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Locked up for safe keeping

This morning I came home from the gym to find my happy little family sitting around the table eating breakfast. They where all happy and the morning seemed to be off to a great start. I was home a little earlier than usual and so Will went down stairs to play the drums and I took the boys in my bathroom for a bath. Zack thought it would be fun to play with the locks on my bed room door. No big deal, he does it all the time. Then he came into the bathroom and Brody went out of the bathroom. No big deal, happens all the time. Zack shut the bathroom door and locked it. No big deal the lock doesn't work any way. I thought. I started the water for the bath, Brody started banging on the closed door to get in. He loves his bath. I went to open the door. It wouldn't budge. Now remember I'm inside the bathroom, the side that you are supposed to be able to lock and unlock at your will. NOT today. The door knob was completely broken and wouldn't budge. Zack and I are locked inside the bathroom. Brody is locked outside the bathroom and inside my room, so he can't wander down and find Daddy. Brody begins to cry. Wondering I'm sure, why his mother has suddenly decided not to let him in with her. That has certainly NEVER happened before. I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in many, many years.
I'm starting to get very agitated for a number of reasons. One being that Brody is in distress and there is nothing I can do for him and another being that I am quite claustrophobic and have realized that I can not get the door to my very small windowless bathroom unlocked. I am TRAPPED. The door is the only way out and it is not working. I search drawers for tools, anything I can use to take the door knob off. Nothing. I was getting frustrated. I jumped on the floor, thinking maybe Will would hear me. That got me nothing but sore bare feet. I remembered that the scriptures said something about having the strength of ten men if I obey the Word of Wisdom . Great, I'll just rip the door knob off. No luck with that, even with all the weight lifting I've been doing, it only budged a little, definitely not enough to break off. I found some tweezers, bent them down and used one side as a screw driver. I got excited as I was able to take the door knob off. Unfortunately the part I wanted was on the other side of the knob and knocked Brody on his head on it's way to the ground. The door was still locked and what I needed was still on the other side of the door. I do not know the anatomy of a door knob. I never thought that was something I would need to know. It wasn't in any of the parenting books. No one ever bothered to say "oh by the way you might want to study a door knob" and that as a mother I would need to know how to not only unlock a door but take apart a door knob in order to free myself and my child from an enclosed room.
I tried again to have super human strength and pull the lock out. Nothing but sore fingers. The drumming stops for a minute, I jump, I yell, I scared Zack who has now joined Brody in crying. Great job mom. I take two of the hinges off the door, but the third is stuck and since I do not have super human strength or tools we are still stuck. I start to get mad at Will, after all why can't he just sense that we are in trouble and need him. Why can't he have super human hearing and hear my yells my banging or his two crying sons upstairs?? Why can I not get out of the bathroom! It was a horribly helpless feeling, one I hope to NEVER feel again. I am incredibly grateful that it happened when Will was home and that he was able to rescue us, as he is always able to do no matter the situation. Can you imagine if he had not been home and we where stuck in there all day. Terrifying!!!!! Will did eventually come up and get the door unlocked with the parts laying at Brody's feet. Brody was quit traumatized but got over it quickly. I did too, eventually and we had a better day than we did morning! Thanks for being home and coming to our rescue Willy!! Let this be a lesson to everyone. Take your phone with you EVERY WHERE!!!
p.s
Jen, I hope this entry did NOT make you sick!!:)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how horrible! Thank goodness things worked out. I can only imagine how desperate that must have felt!!

Jen said...

Kelly you finally put up a new post! Yahooo! Sorry you got stuck in there but yes that was a blessing that Willy was home to let you out! I love that the doorknob hit the baby on the way to the ground! Not your day! Not sure if you talking to me Jen but No suprisingly it didn't make me sick! As breathint these days even makes me sick.

Smiles, JEN

Emily Call said...

Oh how frustrating. I can't even imagine how upset I would be. I am glad it worked out and that you didn't have to be in there all day!

Amy said...

OH no. I'm sorry Kel, That is one you won't soon forget. Good thing Will was home. If it makes you feel any better, Cole followed Asher outside yesterday and then Asher came in thinking Cole had come in...he hadn't. He was stuck outside in the freezing cold and of course he put his hands in the snow. It took me 20 minutes to warm him up and make him stop crying. These are the days.

Thelissa said...

Oh so funny! It really is amazing Will was home. I can't imagine if he wasn't! Note to self, keep ax in bathroom, just in case.

Audrey said...

These are the moments that keep us humble. How horrible for you. Just when we are merrily rolling along, huh?

Amy said...

I must say I was laughing when I read your story. (I'm mean... I know) You're such a good writer, I can just picture the whole thing! I am so impressed with how creative you were trying to escape your torture chamber.
Glad you got out eventually! Don't worry, you're kids will recover someday. ;)

Linda Clark said...

My, what a traumatic experience. There is nothing like the feeling of being helpless...and in closed quarters! glad your Will came to the rescue...he is a knight in shinging armor, isn't he! I guess we have these times to teach us something...having your phone with you always is a great idea!

Jessica said...

I'm glad Will was home to get you guys out! What an awful experience. I still think you're tought enough to bust the door down!

Amber said...

I am glad you got out safe. I think I would feel the same way you did being locked up. I am so glad that Will was home to rescue you and the kids.

Bree D. said...

Wow, now that was an exciting morning! I am glad that you were able to get out ok, I have to say, you were very imaginative on your escape efforts though!!!

Paulene Davis said...

I love to read about your experiences. I am glad that this one had such a happy ending. Give your boys a kiss for me.

Sara said...

THAT IS AWFUL! I'm so, so, soooooooo glad your hubby hero was there to save you eventually! :)

Jamie said...

You must have missed that sction in the "What to expect when you have a toddler" book. It clearly states that you should rip the toilet out of the floor and slam it into the door, thus opening the door and hurting or killing what ever is on the other side. I think your way was much better. You go McGiver!! (SP)

Anonymous said...

Oh Hon,
THis reminds me of when my brother Chuck was just a little guy. ONe day he went into our parents' bathroom and locked the door. We could not talk him through how to unlock it no matter what we said. He was really little. Anyway, that bathroom did have a window, so (since I'm 9 years older than he is) I was the one that had to somehow get to the window outside and crawl through to save him. It was a very long time ago, but I do remember having to do that to save him. Those bathroom locks can be pretty tricky. So glad the trauma is over and that Will eventually came to check on y'all!! I'm pretty claustrophobic, too! I don't like windowless rooms at all!
Love you,
Mom