Monday, November 12, 2007

And the Bad Mom award goes to....

ME. Okay, 9:40 am and already a day worthy of the hall of fame of bad days. It started this morning at 5:30 am. I want to start working out in the morning before everyone wakes up so that I fit it in. Things always come up at night so it is hard to guarantee a good workout then. I foolishly thought that at 5:30 am I would be safe from interruption. What was I thinking?? Brody has been sick and not sleeping well, although I can't necessarily blame it on illness because he never sleeps well. He usual ends up in bed with us at around 12:30am. From then on he needs to be snuggled. I really enjoy this time or he wouldn't be there. I'm just at a point where I'm ready to get my life back and my life has always consisted of early morning workouts. It's my favorite time to break a sweat. I snuck out of bed this morning, didn't even turn on a single light. As I silently crept down the hall I heard his wails. I'm a sucker for my kid's cries, (and they rarely do cry because I will do anything to keep them happy). I suppose that's how I got in this frustrated state now. I went downstairs, got dressed, and started the treadmill. I finished my first mile when the guilt struck me. I turned off my machine and listened. Sure enough Brody was still crying. I went back up stairs to find my sweet Willy trying to comfort him to no avail. I knew exactly what the little stinker wanted and so I lied down next to him and nursed him. It was too early but he was NOT going back to sleep. At this point it was time for Will to get up and so he took Brody to the shower, and I went back downstairs to finish my run. I don't remember how long I'd been running (not long) before sleepy eyed Zack walked in. I think it was a little after 6am. I was so irritated. I took him back upstairs, put on a show and gave him "milk water sink" (a drink that he made up somehow: water from the sink, not the water cooler, and milk mixed in his cup. He's a strange one I know!) in his sippy cup. My irritation was cut when he enveloped me with hugs and kisses. Once again back downstairs. I actually finished my run this time. I think tomorrow I will either go to an early cycling class or bundle up and go outside!!
Well, I'm not done just yet. Zack had play group this morning at 9:30 and I wanted to keep Brody awake until Zack was gone so I could hit some of the things on my to do list. However, I could not keep Brody awake since He had been up since 5:30 and so he fell asleep and I had to wake him up to take Zack. The minute I walked in the door from dropping Zack off, I found my missing cell phone and retrieved several messages. One was from the mom hosting play group saying that her kids are all sick and she was canceling. Good thing I just dropped Zack off, waited for the door to open and left him. I had to run back and get him. I opened the door to go pick him up just in time to see my little boy in tears being carried home by his friend's dad. Did I feel like a schmuck?? YES.
Zack is currently sitting on my lap asking why I'm typing his name and he is typing numbers in my words, which I should have left for everyones enjoyment but deleted. I just got one of his fabulous kisses and yes I love my little boy but could I please get 10 minutes to myself???

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Well you got some stiff competition from me for the Bad Mom award trust me!! The stories I could tell..... No worries. Your boys look healthy and happy, and very very loved. They are so cute. Everyone always says, "there's always tomorrow." But I haven't decided if that is a good or bad thing. Hmmm....

Paulene Davis said...

Sorry you had a bad morning, You possess the two most important qualities for a Mother -- patience and love. Your boys are lucky to have you. .

Sara said...

You are NOT a bad mom!!!! Wanting to work out and have some time for yourself makes you a better mom in the long run, I promise! Wouldn't it be grand if we could keep everyone happy at the same time, including ourselves? My theme song since D was born has been "Mama, Said There'd Be Days Like This" because I have "those days" all the time. But somehow we get through them and those sweet kisses and hugs make it all worth it. Love you, Kell!