I try not to dwell, but it's getting in the way of a lot of things I want to do. Such as running, biking, not being in pain, to name a few. It's stupid. It all started in April and hasn't gotten much better. I found that deep tissue massage, as painful as it is, is extremely effective. It is also as expensive as it is effective, but it's healing effects were wonderful, and got me running. I even did 12 miles one day. I just can't afford it. So I bought a foam roller for at home treatments, or I should say torture. Ouch! Lot's of pain. So I have pain when I run, pain when I stretch, pain when I roll, pain for the rest of the day if I go past the first twinges of pain. Pain in the ass is what it really is. I took some time off. I ran only twice in two weeks. I did other things but that's a lot of time off running. I was confident that I'd be able to do at least 5 miles this morning. Wrong! I made it a total of 1.66 miles before... pain. I had to stop and walk. There is no running through it, believe me I've tried. I stopped and stretched on the side walk. I felt like an idiot doing Pigeon Pose on the side walk while cars passed, almost as much of an idiot as I did walking strait legged home. It feels much better if I walk strait legged. Can you imagine walking 1.5 miles with a strait leg, a little uncomfortable and embarrassing.I don't get to run the marathon either. Stupid. I deferred it to next year so this leg better respond to stretching and the inevitable rest. The thing is I don't want to rest. It's summer. Summer is NOT for resting. Guess it's the pool and stretching for me for a while.
4 comments:
This seriously bums me out so bad. Probably close to as much as you. Set backs SUCK!!! But I have full faith in your recovery and bounce back for doing the marathon next year...and then it will mean all that much more to you when you cross the finish line. I read an article about a guy who is a double amputee (that's right...no legs) who wanted to complete an ironman. He went to Kona only to be swept after the bike. Can you imagine? All the way to Kona and he didn't get to finish. So instead of letting it defeat him he went home, found the next ironman he could (which happened to be AZ) and pulled some strings to get in since it was already sold out. Then he went and did it! Just keep going Kelly, you'll do this thing. :)
I sooo feel your pain!!! You and me both, I had to drop out of the Salem Tri tomorrow and get a refund on my suit, but I am still out the $65 for the race- I am SOOO bummed, and it makes me even more sad that you aren't going to be able to do your Marathon!!! I am happy that you can defer to the next year though, look at the positives right! I am glad the foam roller is helping, it got me walking and doing stairs again, but just like you, every time I feel like it is good, I try to run and end up limping home. Swimming is good- you want to start meeting me at the AF pool and we can have some pity swimming together?!!!
I'm so sorry about your knee...that sounds annoying. Hopefully you will recover soon. After running St. George and having so much knee pain I thought I would never run again...good luck!
Boo on your knee. I miss my running partner, but have gained an AWESOME running coach. I can't wait to watch you run next year. Hang in there.
Post a Comment